1) How long have you been knitting or crocheting? How did you learn? or from whom? Taught myself to knit about 4 years ago. It was actually a silly jealous urge to compete with Matt's first wife, who is a serious Martha Stewart type. She crochets but said she could never learn knitting - it was "too hard" - so I tackled it. One of the best things I ever did for an utterly ridiculous reason.
2) What was your first felted object, and why did you decide to try felting? The first one was a purse (felted for strength) - a disaster - I underestimated the squish factor (vert. vs horiz. shrinkage). Since then I've successfully made bags and stuffed animals.
3) What are your favorite colors? No pastels please! My absolute faves are sapphire, ruby, & emerald, but my tastes are pretty varied.
4) What are your favorite styles\types of bags? Since I have to carry a 6"x 10" appointment book everywhere now, I prefer one on the larger side. Pockets are good! Is it possible to make a roomy, sturdy felted bag that isn't too heavy? Maybe not... a fun casual bag would be great too.
5) What handbag or bag are you carrying today? Do you use a separate bag to carry your knitting? I have a smallish "Where the Wild Things Are" tote that I use as my everyday purse. It's the perfect size but I'd like to have an alternative. I do have a giant knitting tote for S&Bs, etc but in general I carry just the essentials of a small portable project (socks) in a cotton bag in my purse.
6) What other things do you enjoy knitting or crocheting? I don't know how to crochet, although I plan to learn at some point. I like knitting my handspun into stuffed animals / monsters, clothing, accessories.
7) What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? Circs and DPNs only. Bamboo / wood unless the yarn is super sticky. Metal is good to avoid cat dental tracks, though.
8) What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make? Fair Isle sweater.
9) What’s one yarn you’ve not yet tried but are dying to work with? Sea Silk (in my stash already - I was a dork and got 2 in diff colors - I wish they were the same so I could make a tank top)
10) What other hobbies do you have? Spinning, photography, books & movies, science, history, medicine, beading / jewelery.
11) Besides yarn, do you collect anything? Roving... realistic rabbits (not the dressed cutesy ones).
12) What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty? Both! Small quantities, please.
13) Do you have any kiddos? Skin kids: 2 girls, not living with me :(. Fur kids: 3 cats & a bunny. Steel kids: 2 London Taxis & a VR6 Jetta.
14) What kind of project best personifies you and why? My knit monsters - I make them up as I go along and let them develop their own personalities. I like their individuality and strangeness.
15) What is your favorite part of Autumn? Everything!!! It's by far my favorite season, and Halloween is my favorite holiday. Crisp air, colorful leaves, yum! I just want to run into the forest in a Red Riding Hood! :)
16) Tell us 3 things you would do if you won 10 million dollars in the lottery. Pay off my bills & set up all my family members. Book a trip to Italy. Buy a battered old Range Rover.