Sunday, October 01, 2006


Last weekend I flew back to the Right Coast to visit my family. We had a huge party: Grandparents, aunts and uncles, the whole schmear. Mom is a Naturopath and Nurse Practioner. Dad is a semi-retired telecommunications engineer. That's them to the left. Grandpa is big into Spinoza. Grandma broke her hip a month ago. We've been very worried about her but I was gratified to see her moving better than expected. It was great to see everyone looking so happy and healthy. My aunt Joan surprised me with a lovely fiberholic's care package, including some incredible firey mohair yarn which has inspired me to attempt my first lace project.

Yesterday I ventured out to Village Yarn & Tea for a Sock Warrior meetup. I met some great girls (some of their blogs to the right) and had a great time while deciding on a project for the mohair. Unfortunately, I will have to avoid the shop in the future because they carry roving (Must... use... stash...), but they do make a mean cup of Bamboo Maiden.

I came to a little decision that's made me very happy. I really want a big homemade cozy sweater for the winter, but I've been putting off making another sweater for myself because I'm trying hard to lose weight and I don't want to invest all that effort on something I (hopefully) will not be able to wear next year. Lying in bed last night it struck me that I should use my Manos. I bought it 2 years ago, before I learned that fat single-ply yarn wouldn't hold up to much use. I've been unable to sell or trade it because I LOVE the colors (varigated reds). So here's the plan, quite obvious in retrospect. I'll make my luscious, amazing sweater and wear the heck out of it. By Spring it'll be a pilly mess so I'll pack it away until Fall, when I'll FELT it to fit my new & improved body! If it felts funkily, I'll just make a purse out of it and cherish my memories. And that makes me feel warm and cozy already.

5 comments:

Anne Turner said...

Warm and cozy is good! Multi functional knitting can be interesting. Manos isn't that bad! I've been knitting on a blankie for a couple years that has alot in it. Of course I haven't washed it yet.
AND you have me digging for my mobius pattern.. PFFTT! Whats a girl to do!

Anonymous said...

Avoid Village Yarn and Tea? Don't do that. I want to see the pretty mohair again. I'm going to try my best to make it to this Friday's get-together.

Anne Turner said...

I agree, you have to come on Saturdays! I wanna see how the mobius turns out. I've been turning my house upside down looking for my mobius pattern. See what you did..lol!
It was just a fluke that Terri and I showed up at Village that day. We usually meet at Third Place Books that day. With the holidays coming up its getting horribly noisy and annoying with the stage acts. So, we may go to Village more often.

Sharon Rose said...

Okay, okay, I'll come Friday. Matt has PM clinic that day, and I might even have Wendolene back! She's at the shop now waiting for a steering pump to arrive from the UK.

meganjams said...

It is so good to see your Mom and Dad! And I think your pic (recent) of your short hair is soooooo cute!

I am glad you are enjoying who you are. I always did!

Megan (Egana)