Monday, December 24, 2007

The Jewess with a fake fir tree in the living room

It occurs to me that my blog is looking a bit odd for someone who considers herself one of the Chosen People. I'm ethnically Jewish, though, not religiously. To me it's a "Roots" thing - memories of Seder dinner at Aunt Joan's, etc. Somewhere along the way I've become thoroughly assimilated into the secular aspects of the holiday season. I sing along to carols on the radio and stick red bows on the cars and generally wander around grinning. Seeing the windows in NYC last night was amazing. Macy's on 34th St still has their old wooden escalators! The big halls had kind of a Harrod's* feel to them... am I the only person in the country who loves the crazy crush of shoppers at Christmas?

Anyway, it's an interesting phenomenon. I got all excited when seeing a mobile Menorah on the highway, but I don't have one in the house. Don't worry, I'm not going to launch into a psychosocial essay on minorities and culture - it's not that kind of blog - but I will make an effort next year to resurrect (sorry, couldn't resist) some Hebrew traditions.

Pics to follow when I resolve some USB issues.

Happy Holidays!

* Matt and I honeymooned in Edinburgh & London in my pre-blogging days. It was the best two weeks of my life. Ask me about it sometime if you have far too much time on your hands.

1 comment:

KnittyGirl said...

LOL!!!