Sunday, November 08, 2009

Computer Disaster (Doubled)

My trusty old Mac melted down after 4+ years of service. The bad news is that it went suddenly - a massive stroke - and I hadn’t backed it up. I’ve lost everything. All my photos, all my marketing materials for the clinic, and all my knitting patterns (I had a huge collection, meticulously organized, including the three I was writing for publication).

Back up your hard drive!!!

Yes, I know about data recovery services and will try one, but the Genius at the Mac store wasn’t hopeful.

The bit that really stinks is that Matt’s went 3 days ago. He had some warning and saved all his stuff… I was literally bugging him to copy mine when it failed. We had Figgy at the vet’s, too, so it’s been an expensive week. sigh

Good news: The cat butt seems to have returned to normal function.

2 comments:

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Wow, and it's not even January yet.

Clumsy Knitter said...

Oh no! That's terrible...and scary! I like to think that my Mac is immune to any computer problem, ever. I'm going to back it all up right now. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe just knowing that your loss has helped others avoid their own will make your computer's sacrifice worthwhile? ;-)