Sunday, August 31, 2008

This Old Car: DIY Auto-style




We spent the weekend working on paint. Specifically, sanding down orange peel to a dull flat surface, then polishing the glow back on. This requires many, many, many gradations of sandpaper, rubbing compound, polishing compound, wax, second coat of wax... you get the idea. My arms feel enormous and are toasted like a s'more... I can barely lift my laptop! The right side is completely done now. The left ... Next weekend!

Done professionally, this job would have cost up to $1500. Our cost: about 200 smackers.

Preston's interior: Compare his stately new grey carpets and microfiber console to the old garish red. We finally got tired of the scarlet fuzz everywhere from the rugs disintegrating, and this is a vast improvement over the "pimped out" look. We used carpet from the Homo Depot and leftover material from the headliner project. Total cost: $50.

2 comments:

Alawishus said...

Wow!!! You guys did an amazing job! If that whole medicine thang doesn't work out you can always open your own body shop ;)

A said...

Your arms may be tired, but I bet they are getting some nice muscle tone! The car looks smashing, dahling.