Sunday, August 13, 2006

Two Birds on the Road





With Wallace's future uncertain, we found another London Taxi for sale and bought it. We figured we could sell either Wallace (if his undercarriage was too rusted out to repair) or this one and use the cash to pay for the repair. There's so much interest generated by Wallace & Wendolene that we know finding a buyer will be easy-peasy. Heather flew to Sarasota, FL with me and we drove the new car back. His name is now Victor, and he looks just like Wendolene except his interior is still the original vinyl. What a GREAT car!!! I am always amazed at how well these cabs do at 70 on the highway, given that they were primarily designed to run around London at 35mph. He was getting about 30-35 mpg once we fixed the return fuel line. The truckers and our fellow travelers really liked him... in fact I nearly sold him three times on the way! It's looking now like Wallace is recoverable, and it will break my heart to part with Victor, but even *I* have to admit that we don't need 3 taxis.

The trip was an epic adventure. I'm a roadtrip rambler from way back, and this journey has seriously rekindled my desire to drive all over the country again, with more time to stop and smell the flowers. At a time when the news is filled with all the horrid things we do to each other, it was wonderful to have my faith in humanity refreshed. We were consistantly shown kindness and generosity. The local people really sweetened the trials we encountered: Two mechanical issues and an emergency surgery for Heather. That's right, folks, she left her gallbladder in Amarillo.

I have started writing up the trip. Going chronologically, I'm on page 5 and Heather isn't even sick yet. I also have zillions of amazing pictures, so I'll put together a full report after my MCAT this weekend. Let me know if you want to see it. And please keep your fingers crossed for me on Saturday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to see it! All of it! I do! Good luck this weekend. I'm glad that you and Heather FINALLY made it back safely even though you ditched Phoenix. I think you two should write a country song about Amarillo and Heather's gallbladder...Could make you rich and put a few more taxis in the driveway. $-)